Ingredients for 2-3 portions
- 400 g (1 pound) beef (chuck), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 big onion, or two small ones, cut into small pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- twig of rosemary
- 2 Tbs flour
- 2-3 dl red wine
- 1 carrot, cut into chunks
- 1 small slice of celery root, cut into small pieces
- 20 g fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- nutmeg, chilly flakes, paprika, salt
- oil to sear
Directions (15 min to prepare, 2 hours cooking time)
In a solid steal pan or iron pan sear the meat and rosemary. Sprinkle the flour over it and stir the meat for 2-3 min to brown the flour. Pour the red wine over it (the meet should be covered with the wine) and season with all the spices: cloves, garlic, rosemary, salt, nutmeg, bay leaf, salt, chilly, paprika, ginger, and the small chunks of celery root and chunks of carrot. In a pan on small flame sauté the onion and bell pepper till nicely browned. Add everything to the meat, close with a tide lid, let it stew for at least 3 hours on very low flame, while ones in a while checking the liquids and stirring. Taste, and serve.
Ragout is great with with mashed potatoes and red cabbage or string beans.
This ragout is a special recipe for me, because I rarely cook meat and I am not familiar with meat cooking, but I remember my grandmother used to cook this and then my uncle cooked it once for us and showed me how to prepare it – it brings back memories of my childhood.